Friday, March 23, 2012

Eli Poppins

This weekend I spent some quality time with my 7 and 3 year old nieces. My sister and brother-in-law skipped town and their responsibilities for the weekend and asked if the two girls could come and stay with me. I obliged, having no business being in charge of children. Things I learned this weekend:

1. Kids need to be drinking something at all times. Or they will die.

2. If what you're trying to do with children takes them more than 5 minutes away from a restroom, it aint worth it.



3. NEVER hand a 3 year old a can of silly string, particularly when a nicely-dressed person you don't know who clearly spent over one hour on her hair is standing right in front of said 3 year old. Sometimes the string is not that silly. Or the reactions to its use.

4. When a child tells you she doesn't like a food item, placing that food item on her plate somehow poisons all other food items that are also on that plate. There is no way around this.

5. My nieces act like they have been attacked with anthrax when presented with a beautiful ripe strawberry, but then gobble up broccoli like the Apocalypse is coming.

6. When 3 year old child states a falsehood about a Disney princess, do NOT try to correct her. Disney princesses are her turf, and she will not take kindly to any opposition.

7. The "short" drinking fountains in public places are too tall to be used by most children and too short to be used by most adults, rendering them useless to the vast majority of the population.

8. It took me until the third peanut butter sandwich to realize that the 3 year old had no intention of eating any bread and it would be less wasteful to just place a dollop of peanut butter on her plate.

9. Responsibility is hard.

10. You can get kids to compliantly go wherever you want if you promise they might see an animal along the way.

11. If you make a promise that they might see an animal along the way, deliver or pay the consequences.

12. When choosing which animal to promise the children they might see, and you live in the middle of the city, do not choose: bear, kangaroo, unicorn, etc.

13. Children are like Costco when it comes to snot: they have bulk stuff always in stock that you don't really want but feel you need to get anyway.

14. There is apparently a transition a person goes through in life where they stop viewing sleep as a punishment. That transition evidently occurs sometime after age 7.

15. Ironically, having to get up in the morning is apparently viewed as an even greater punishment than going to bed.

16. While relieved the moment they were no longer in my possession, within 20 seconds I was ready for them to come back.

Maybe I should start having kids. Bob and Cathie would be pleased.

"Winds in the east, mist coming in."


~It Just Gets Stranger

27 comments:

  1. RE: #14...It must begin sometime after age 8. My oldest still hasn't mastered the art of going to bed quietly or sleeping in. Speaking of sleeping in, my kids all have a violent aversion to sleeping in past 7 am. Maybe it's that they don't want me to sleep in. Whatever the reason, between the four of them they somehow manage to have me up before 7 every day. Unless we actually have to be somewhere early. Then they all sleep in. It's a conspiracy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know. All I know is I have very forcefully made that transition.

      Delete
    2. Kelseylub- mine just turned nine...sleep is still a punishment. God..when did we transition to love of sleep? Is it almost here? I don't know how much longer I can hold on. When I pondered out loud today about what my talent might be he said " reading and sleeping mommy"
      Not with you around buddy....

      Delete
    3. Kelseylub- mine just turned nine...sleep is still a punishment. God..when did we transition to love of sleep? Is it almost here? I don't know how much longer I can hold on. When I pondered out loud today about what my talent might be he said " reading and sleeping mommy"
      Not with you around buddy....

      Delete
    4. Kelseylub- mine just turned nine...sleep is still a punishment. God..when did we transition to love of sleep? Is it almost here? I don't know how much longer I can hold on. When I pondered out loud today about what my talent might be he said " reading and sleeping mommy"
      Not with you around buddy....

      Delete
  2. Try holding down 4 kids at once! When I watch my best friends 4 kids it the best form of birth control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, you've pretty much got the basics of parenting down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should be named father of the year.

      Delete
  4. What do you mean START having kids? I thought you had like 5?

    ReplyDelete
  5. #9 is my favorite. It's funny 'cause it's true...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eli, I wish I had learned this wisdom about 13 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All you can do is pass it on to others before it's too late, Kim.

      Delete
  7. #7 is why you should go into politics...you could build an entire platform on the wasteful, uselessness of public drinking fountains...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my campaign would be focused on the mistreatment of cats and goats.

      Delete
  8. About kids and food, I definitely agree with the peanut butter one. My two year old will lick the peanut butter off the whole wheat bread and then give licked bread to the dog who happens to be overweight because he eats everything the toddler doesn't! (At least it is a balanced diet.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing with frosting, so I can relate.

      Delete
    2. My toddler loves frosting (and syrup)! Don't tell Fortify!

      Delete
  9. I used to nanny for 5 kids under 5 and you learn some helpful tricks. Let's say you're making pancakes when a 3yr old comes to tell you she wants you to use her bunny shape. Then the 5yr old must have his pancake in the shape of a duck but you already have 6 pancakes ready to go with no particular shape. Just get really excited about it and ask "who wants this soccer-ball shaped pancake?!" or "oooh! An amoeba pancake!" "what's a 'meeba?" they'll ask, "oh, it' just the coolest..."animal"... You'll learn about it in science!" "I want the 'meeba!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous, did any of those kid's happen to be named Fortify?

      Delete
    2. I think part of what makes me such a phenomenal babysitter/nanny is not only because I've a lot of experience sitting on babies but I also make it a point not to learn names. Then you become attached. This could lead to wishing/thinking the kids are your own (and deserve to be with you, you are taking care of them, aren't you?) and that leads to kidnappings. Don't get me wrong, I do want to be on 'Dancing with the Stars' and kidnapping 5 children and claiming them as my own would be a fast track to fame, however many seasons ago they had Lil' Kim on the show and she dedicated her first dance to the ladies in the clink so there goes that angle for me. It's been done.

      That all said...there was one girl (I refer to her as Little Beyonce) who questioned the nutrition facts of the pancakes as she insisted that her (real) mom lets her listen to rap music while she prepares for her next pageant. I don't know what to think of this mom...can you believe he let's her listen to rap?

      Delete
  10. hahaha That's awesome! I myself am a nanny. Which at age 18 is more like being a single teen mom.
    My most recent lesson is...warn the kids before you spray them with a hose on the trampoline. Natural reaction will happen which includes forcing arms out wildly into other children who are close to the edge causing the "oh-crap-the-kid-i am-paid-to-watch-just-fell-off-the-tramp-and-broke-his-elbow-and-has-to-get-two-pins-effect" will occur.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha ha! Love this! Funny and sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. awwwww I love kids!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As someone who has no kids, but does babysit little nieces and nephews, completely get this post. However, one quick question: you willingly put yourself in a position where you had to look after not one, but two, tiny people that share YOUR genes? I think you should re-read your lost journals. Are there any from age three?

    ReplyDelete