Thursday, May 14, 2015

Falling in Amsterdam

My flight left Belgrade, Serbia at an ungodly hour in the morning. Having stayed out until far too late in the night, the alarm clock went off only an hour or two after my head hit the pillow. Somehow I manipulated Tyler into taking me to the airport. If he ever talks to me again, I will consider him inhuman.

I had a layover in Amsterdam where they made us go through a separate round of security checks that involved far and away the most intrusive frisking I have ever experienced in my entire life. I've had colonoscopies that felt less intimate. NOT THAT I KNOW WHAT COLONOSCOPIES ARE, CATHIE.

I stood in line behind an elderly American couple who were also awaiting their friskings. I was holding an exceptionally heavy amount of garbage at the time. Stuff I had collected in Croatia, Montenegro, Bosnia, and Serbia without ever thinking about how on Earth I would get it home. My arms were tired and I was trying very hard to make the amount of items look as minimal as possible so nobody would stop me from carrying them onto the plane.

And then I saw the elderly man in front of me begin to wobble. It seemed odd. But I recognized the symptoms from having had similar experiences in the past.


Seconds before he went down I dropped everything in my hands and lunged forward, catching him in a bear hug. He was a larger man and pretty heavy, and almost in slow-motion the two of us went to the ground together. He lay on his back, convulsing ever so slightly, and totally unaware of his surroundings.

The people standing around us in line quickly backed away as this man's wife stood by and watched her husband.

You guys. I'm not a doctor. I have no idea what to do in any situation involving medical needs. I have taken the CPR training course like 2,000 times in my life and I still don't think I know how to do CPR. Or know when you're even supposed to do CPR. I am absolutely not the right person to have in a situation like this.

Implicitly, I began taking his pulse and snapping my fingers in front of his eyes, probably because this is what I've seen people do on TV. I don't know why I took his pulse. As though I was going to diagnose his problem based on this information.

I asked his wife whether he had any medical conditions. She said that he did not and that he was very healthy. I asked her a few other questions. She sort of answered them.

A woman who worked at the airport came over and I asked her to call someone to help. She did this, and then stood by. And then I heard this wife, while her husband continued to convulse on the ground, say a very strange thing:

"Are we going to still be able to make it onto this flight?"

She looked at her watch when she asked the question and she sounded annoyed.

No one really responded to it.

The man then regained consciousness and started talking, asking what had happened. Just then a doctor arrived. I stood, gathered my things, walked by the woman who didn't make eye contact with me, and proceeded through security.

Twenty minutes or so later, the couple emerged from security as well and took two seats next to where I was sitting.

I expected the woman to say something to me. To acknowledge this very strange and stressful experience we had just shared. This did not happen right away. She casually talked to her husband about whether or not he had been drinking enough water and whether he was hurt during the fall (he said he wasn't).

And then, finally, she turned and looked at me. She opened her mouth to say something.

"Here it is." I thought. "We're finally going to have a conversation. A normal interaction about this very strange thing that just happened."

"Looks like you are trying to carry on a lot of stuff onto this plane," she noted. "I hope we're not sitting close to you."

I just don't know anymore.

Here are some videos of me wandering Eastern Europe at night.


~It Just Gets Stranger

19 comments:

  1. First to comment! I want to know about these experiences in the past where you've begun to wobble, and then proceed to faint (but with every hair in place, of course). I have no grasp of that woman...perhaps she isn't an externally emotional person in the least, and perhaps callousness is simply how she deals with shock. And, hey, if the souvenirs meant that she wasn't volunteering to be your row-buddy...bring on the souvenirs. Good for you, though, for taking action (esp. on less than 2 hours of sleep) and helping someone. And for keeping your head (and your clothes on) in a moment that could have had a far different ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some people just make me shake my head and wonder. This lady reminds me of a patient at the pharmacy where I work who wouldn't pay $4 for an antibiotic cream for her grandson because it wasn't covered by his insurance. Priorities, people. Priorities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Janel, I also work in a pharmacy. I feel your pain. We should start our own blog.

      Delete
    2. Oh Janel, I also work in a pharmacy. I feel your pain. We should start our own blog.

      Delete
  3. You can post "boring" videos all the time. That city was gorgeous! And you made lots of sense and spoke about interesting things. I enjoyed them, anyway. (: Though, if someone could explain to me: Why would you get arrested in SLC if you stayed out 'til midnight? IS THERE REALLY A CURFEW THERE? D:

    Also: That lady! Gah. Some people just have no heart.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, some people are so weird. I would have AT LEAST wondered if I still had time to get a diet coke, and asked you to please try to keep my husband's nice traveling pants from getting dirty on the airport floor. (Actually, this sounds a lot like my friend's mom, who is in Amsterdam right now with her husband, but they fly home today. Now that would have been really strange.)

    Once in a Portugal train station, we saw an elderly man lose his balance on an escalator and fall backwards, taking all the people out behind him. And while those kind of videos are hilarious on YouTube, it's so not hilarious to watch it really happen. What was truly amazing was the guy who came bounding out of nowhere to rescue everyone, while the rest of us just stared with mouths gaping, totally immobile and useless.

    Then there was the guy who we thought had died sitting next to my husband in a Messiah concert. Eyes open, frozen and unresponsive, frantic wife, panicking crowd-- and the show just kept going.

    ps- I recognize some of those streets in Dubrovnik!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I see a lot of my mom in that lady. My mother doesn't deal well with stressful situations so she just pretends they aren't serious to make them seem less stressful so she can cope with what's going on and get through it without making a scene. Quite a few of her friends that are her age so the same thing. I don't know if it is a generational/geographical vortex sort of thing or if it is just their personality type, but they aren't good at discussing things that scare them and expressing gratitude is almost non-existent. I don't think it makes them bad people, it just means it frustrating to deal with them. I'm glad you were there to help them, even if she won't say it I will...Good Job Eli!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually hearing you say "not that I know what those are" was just about the best thing ever.

    ReplyDelete
  7. People are amazing! Just...wow.

    I'd have been like, "Yeah. And it's a good thing I'm not still CARRYING YOUR HUSBAND. Because that would just be too much."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL nice one. Love this comment.

      Delete
    2. You nailed it, Stef S. Although had it been ME, there would have been a lot of potty-mouth to go with, because I know ALL the best words. ;)

      Not that Eli knows any of those words, CATHIE. :)

      Delete
  8. Wow, I want to use vulgar language right now towards that lady. I was going to say something but I'll hold it back and give her the benefit of the doubt. Perhaps after the whole fiasco when she sat down next to you she didn't remember it was you that helped him to the ground. Perhaps she was just in shock of the whole thing and didn't know how to react and didn't even register that it was you that did all that for him. Perhaps something like what Suzz said. I don't know. I know a lot of older people, and they would have said something to you afterwards thanking you for your help. Although I've seen things that lately that wouldn't surprise me that something like this would happen.

    In any case, you did good, and you did the right thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to use lots of vulgar words too. But, I'll just say that she's won (in my book, at least,) Douche Canoe of the Year.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are you kidding me!? That woman is NUTS! Were YOU hurt in the fall?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you seen Eli's ironman physique? He can't be hurt by a mere mortal

      Delete
  11. Wow. That woman seems so pleasant, it's no wonder her husband passed out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You had me at youuuuttthhes. If i wasn't happily married, I'd totally ask you on a date; )

    ReplyDelete