Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Catching Up

Miss me?

I apologize for the hiatus. Life has been jetting like a runaway train lately and something had to give. Of course I chose blogging and health. I'll tell you I've been busy despite the declaration from a friend who recently expressed via Facebook (the social network that tears people apart) that, essentially, those who don't have a wife and kids don't have a right to complain about being busy, as though wife and kids were thrust upon him as a curse from the heavens, rendering family the only legitimate use of time. No, I have been busy. And just like all of my married AND non-married friends, I have chosen the things that have kept me busy.

School is going well. I recently competed in two big competitions at the school and made it to finals of both (brag brag brag). The first was a trial advocacy competition similar to the one I did last year. It went five long rounds over a two week period and ended in utter defeat when we went up against a couple of 3Ls. The next week or two (ending just last Friday) I was doing appellate moot court arguments for a thirty page brief we had to write and submit in early October. This was also five grueling rounds that, also, ended in defeat. Nonetheless, I was proud of how I did. Both competitions were draining and dramatic (like most aspects of my life) and a really cool experience. Friday's judges were terrifying and intimidating; each of the three were appellate court judges, one from the Colorado Supreme Court.

So now I'm trying to catch Swine Flu and get caught up in my actual classes. Yes, I said "trying to catch Swine Flu." As you are well aware, there is a great incentivizing phenomenon accompanying the latest H1N1 strain. Recently the school sent out an email informing us all that Swine Flu was in our midst and that if anyone shows any flu-like symptoms, they should stay home in bed for several days. Additionally, the email let us know that the school has our backs and if anyone gets Swine Flu, the administration will do all in their power to take care us (as though they're the mafia) by talking to our professors and making sure we have everything we need.

So, now, we are all faced with two options: Option one: stay healthy and run yourself into mental insanity, or Option Two: catch Swine Flu and stay in bed for several days while the administration "takes care of you."

I understand that we are all interested in preventing the spread of this thing but I'm not exactly sure why. If the school really wanted us to stay away from each other, thus effectively quashing this undesired epidemic, they would start threatening each of us by requiring anyone who gets the virus to take failing grades in all their classes. I guarantee that this kind of tactic would have killed this thing when employers and administrations started incentivizing the flu earlier this summer. If only I were in charge.

~It Just Gets Stranger

7 comments:

  1. Of course I've missed you...both on the blog and in real life. So do the kids!

    You still make me laugh! Only a lawyer would or could make a case for deliberately trying to catch swine flu. Good luck with that!

    On a more serious note, I read the other day that I believe 6 regions in western Ukraine have now reached epidemic status with swine flu. All schools, public meetings and gatherings, and churches have been closed for the next 3 weeks. In some areas, including Ivano Frankivsk, they have also restricted travel in and out of the area in order to try and stop the spread of it. Essentially, most of western Ukraine is under quarantine and more closely resembles a ghost town than anything. Very few people are out and about and those who are all wearing surgical masks. Given that we all know what medical care is really like over there, this really is pretty sad and scary, especially in the rural areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eli! Long time no see my friend, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks facebook is evil :), yet I am still on there. That's cool you still get to experience that competitive side of life, it's fun. Good luck catching the swine flu, I've been kind of tempted to get it myself, I'm so sick of worrying about having to get vaccinated! They say I HAVE to for nursing school, yet the only way to get it is to camp out over night and wait in line for 10 hours and they still run out... much less appealing to me than actually catching the swine flu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear from you again!

    Congrats on your competitions, sounds like you are still dominating. I'm not surprised.

    Swine flue. I promise I have had ALL of the same thoughts and feelings you have had. Sure, no one likes being sick, but it has become the ultimate get-out-of-jail-free card. I'm convinced that half the people who claim to have swine flue are just saying they have it so they can get out of doing things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to hear from you again, my friend. Sounds good on the competitions. I think I'm going to come down with a case of Beaver Mountain Flu soon. It's just up the canyon and the lifts will be running soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, who would put something like that on Facebook for all the world to see? Some people... Good luck on keeping up with stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sir, that is hilarious that you got the swine flu!

    ReplyDelete