Thursday, August 1, 2013

Pictures & Weekly Distractions

Five weeks from today I'll be finishing my job in Palau and boarding a plane that will leave the land of coconuts and take me to the land of absolutely-everything-else. The wind-down period has felt strange so far, like it's moving quickly and slowly at the same time. And I can't seem to shake the constant sense that I'm closing a big fat chapter. A chapter on tropical solitude, ferocious fruit bats, and ubiquitous mangy stray dogs.

Life is about to change in big ways very soon and right now it feels like I'm slowly ticking up the first hill on the roller coaster and the track is starting to curve. I hope you'll ride it with me and keep me from falling out. But, you probably shouldn't sit behind me. In case I throw up. Because I just ate a LARGE plate of nachos.

And now, your pictures and distractions:


K-Shell's name, forever a part of the Palauan landscape (or until the tide comes in).

Look. I touched animals. And then I had my hands amputated.

Poor Mr. Daniel. This world was not made for him.

K-Shell snapped this shot of me and Daniel boating around the islands. (Note: they MADE us wear those life jackets)



Crap to distract you from whatever you're supposed to be doing:

Newspaper makes a GLORIOUS mistake online.

See?! Cats are dangerous! Thanks, Matt.

How your cat is making you crazy. Thanks, Matt.

Pet wigs. Thanks, Tim and Leslie.

For fans of You've Got Mail. Thanks, Daniel.

Cat toilet training. What the? Thanks, Stephanie.

Insane job opportunities on Craigslist. Thanks, Brianna.

~It Just Gets Stranger

16 comments:

  1. Do you think you'll miss Leotrix?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy gorgeous pictures batman. And what's the deal with that blue starfish? Is that because of some oil spill or chemical destruction that my elementary school teachers were always trying to tell me was real? I mean the storm drain is so close, why wouldn't I dump everything down there.

    Poor Daniel, he's like a giant in midget land.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Daniel's legs oh my gosh!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just have to tell you that if you EVER want to toilet-train Trixy, you should NOT buy the CitiKitty. If Trixy has any adverse reactions and has to be re-trained, the CitiKitty is a one-time-use product. Once you've cut the bigger and bigger holes, there's no way to make those holes smaller. Plus, if Trixy's even remotely "stout", she'll resist using the CitiKitty because it is too lightweight and flexible, and she'll feel like she's going to fall into the toilet (which would be bad).

    The Litter Kwitter (http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php), on the other hand, is a much better product, and includes a DVD of the creator's cat instructing you on its use. Sturdy, reusable (so you can train as many cats as you like over the course of your life), and SO SANITARY - you'll wonder why you ever had a litter box.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cat uses the toilet....I have a pix.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brianna is the best!! You should most definitely marry her!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're coming home! Please invite us all to your welcome back party. I'll bring the cheesecake. And yeah RIGHT they MADE you wear those life jackets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In the one about the guy theorizing that the parasite in cat poop makes people crazy...I was struck by how this parasite, laying supposedly dormant in people's brains but still affecting their behavior...was making them behave more like CATS. "..changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents..." Cats, cats, cats. Schizophrenia? Cats are like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are looking sexier than ever Eli. It must be all those sex talks. But really, you're hair is SPOT on. Brad Pitt is jealous. He called me just to let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Talk about distractions, I went the cats are deadly then it took me to animal attacks and I got lost on the Seigfried & Roy accident which lead me to Liberace and his partner THAN to the new movie "Behind the Candelabra"...

    Wow, you can tell I'm not focused at work. Thanks alot, Eli *sarcastic evil look*

    ReplyDelete
  11. Welcome back to America gift? http://www.etsy.com/listing/130438888/you-have-cat-to-be-kitten-me-flour-sack?ref=shop_home_active

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was looking at some of your other, more fake blogs and I thought they were very funny. Nope. This comment has nothing to do with your post's content. Whatever.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eli, do you know any of the McClure family?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do not appreciate your anti-cat propaganda and that article about cats making you crazy is missing pictures of cats. I don't want to see the crazy guy with messed up hair. I want to see the CAT! I don't care about people.

    Any way can next week have a pro-cat theme?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Another lake for you, if not to visit, then to at least learn how to pronounce it...

    chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg

    ReplyDelete