Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Snapchats

Yesterday:

Woman on the News: Up next, we're going to talk about text bombing and how it might be hurting your child.

Eli: What on Earth is "text bombing?"

Kurt: I don't know. A thing the kids are doing.

Eli: The kids are doing a lot of things lately.

Kurt: You need to research this.

Eli: Why me?

Kurt: Because, that's your thing. You research the things the kids are doing.


And you know what, he's right. That is my thing. I have taken upon myself the sacred obligation of finding out what the kids are doing so that I can explain it to all of you. It's not an obligation I take lightly. I'm sure a lot of you at home have been wondering about recent trends like "texting" and listening to "discmans" and your first thought was, "I'm going to go to Stranger and find out what that is. And to see how good Eli's hair is looking today!"

For the last year I have not done a great job keeping you informed on what the kids are doing. This is because the only kids I had social interaction with in Palau were getting into machete fights at school and having crushes on their first cousins. And while interesting, I don't think that information was keeping you very abreast of popular juvenile trends.

When I got back from Palau a few months ago, I felt like I had a lot of catching up to do. And I immediately heard about a dozen different things that the kids started doing while I was gone. This included what the kids are calling "the Snapchats."

For those who don't know, Snapchat is basically a mechanism on your phone that allows for no-consequence sexting. Not that I know what that is, Cathie.

Actually, I'm a 29 year old man now who has given her exactly zero grand-babies. At this point Cathie probably wishes I did know what sexting was.

But to say that it's "no-consequence sexting" is actually not totally accurate. I'll explain.

Snapchat is this thing that allows you take a picture, usually selfies, and send it to a friend who can view that picture for a previously-designated amount of seconds, sometimes as short as one second. Once the time expires, the picture can never be accessed again.

But wait. There's a catch. There's a thing called "the screen-shot" that someone can do when the picture is on their screen and this allows them to save the picture for time and all eternity. Basically, then, Snapchat just amounts to picture texting with an automatic-delete schedule that one can override with minimal effort.

Snapchat is the most absurd thing that has ever hit the phone. So naturally, when I got back to The United States of God Bless America, I started Snapchatting selfies to my friends 70 or 80 times a day.

Which brings me to the point.

My Favorite Snapchats From Jolyn Metro





And, finally, this one was sent to me the other day after I told Jolyn that I was really tired and asked her whether she had any meth to give me.


~It Just Gets Stranger

27 comments:

  1. Wow... just... wow? Hahahaha this is hysterical! (As always)

    http://www.iris-hanlin.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love Stranger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a methodist, I'm not sure if I should find this humorous or offensive, but I think I lean towards humorous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a Methodist, this is obviously hysterical. (Just want to make sure people reading this comment don't think all methodists are uptight and lack a sense of humor!)

      Delete
    2. Um . . . why would this be offensive?

      Delete
    3. I'm just unclear on the mormon religion, so I wasn't sure if they have anything against methodists. It's not that I'm uptight, but that I wanted clarification on the context of the snapchat.

      Delete
    4. We Mormons don't have anything against any religion, honestly. 'twas all in jest, and there was no animosity behind the METH-odist statement, I'm certain. :)

      Delete
    5. I love Methodists! Actually I don't know any, but I'm sure I love them. And not just because Jolyn implied that they are akin to meth.

      Delete
    6. I second that Ginabean. We Mormons have nothing against any religion. It was only a play on words, a pun if you will. :)

      Delete
    7. I stand firmly for all religions which begin with the letter "M".

      This message brought to you by the letter M.

      Delete
  4. My friend keeps trying to get me to use Snapchat. I tell her that Snapchat is for 14 year olds to sext with. Thank you for backing me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My roommate keeps trying to tell me the benefits of snapchat. I still don't really get it but now that a stranger has told me to do so...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was riding the bus the other day, and the person I was sitting next to was using a discman. Ture story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For once, you're actually ahead of me on "what the kids are doing these days." I've only heard of Snapchat and seen a few pictures make their way onto the internets, but had no idea what it was about. Thank you for informing me. I'll continue to steer clear of that app for time and all eternity.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So what is this "text bombing" you speak of? Inform me Eli!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/01/text-bombing_n_4170171.html

      Delete
  9. This post just made me laugh so hard. Thank you for taking your duty to inform us seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. At work our boss sends us snapchats of documents that have detailed instructions for projects, meetings, HR policies, etc. We have 6 seconds to memorize the information. He's able to find out if we take a screenshot of it. The last guy that got caught taking a screenshot was not only fired, but our boss ruined this man's reputation via the interwebs. Last I heard he had moved out to Amish country where no one would Google him.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OH, so THAT's what Snapchat is. Sounds kinda dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Am I the only one that thinks Eli needs to marry Jolyn? Not to make it weird between you two...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, you're not the only one, but then again, we don't know the full story. They could be cousins. Or ex's (exes? exes'?) Or... yeah, but they'd be cute together. :)

      Delete
  13. I need help with Twitter, Eli. I have a Twitter. I follow folks on it. I just don't care what they say, so I hardly ever go there. Except to post links to my blog. I think I'm doing it wrong. I think I understand hashtags. I just don't care. I can't wrap my head around what the big deal is.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why is no one questioning that Eli wanted to buy METH?!

    Side note on buying drugs - when I was 20 I worked for a church, giving Bible studies to people in their homes. One evening as I walked across an apartment complex, dressed in a professional and modest skirt and blouse, carrying my Bible and lessons, a man yelled out me, "Hey baby, you know where I can get some pot?"

    ReplyDelete
  15. Um.....right?! I grew up as a Methodist and I thought the pun was hysterical and kind of clever....but in hindsight, why the heck was he asking for METH?!? Is that the drug of choice kids these days go to when they are tired? I don't know, I guess I'm not down with OPP anymore (psh, yeah you know me) Done forgot about Dre. Referencing 90's rappers seems appropriate at this point. Schooled by Breaking Bad perhaps? I was operating under the assumption coffee was still cool. Guess not!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. A lot of college students have been reaching out to their friends with A.D.D. to score some adderall when they need to pull an all-nighter, study for extended periods of time, or stay alert/awake. Since aderall is actually an amphetamine, technically they're using meth, just in a more clinical form. As one of these friends with A.D.D. perhaps I can help you with your dilemma Eli! :-P jk

      Delete