Monday, June 13, 2016

Episode 5: The World of Choice



In this heavy week, we bring you an aptly-timed Episode 5 of Strangerville: The World of Choice.

In this special episode, we explore religious extremism from an exceedingly unique perspective. Please enjoy the heartbreaking, thoughtful, and inspiring account from one of my biggest heroes, Jeff Barlow, as he details his experiences growing up in Warren Jeffs's polygamous FLDS community. Explore the value of choice in our lives from the eyes of a man who was kept from it, who escaped the closed community and left everything behind, and who returned later to make a profound difference for the people he never stopped loving.


I am exceptionally grateful to Jeff for being willing to allow me to visit him and talk with him about what choice has meant in his life, and why he so values it today. Please allow this episode to show you profound goodness in a world that sometimes needs more examples of it.

As always, I and Jolyn thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your kind support of Strangerville, the love you have expressed to us and those featured in these shows, and for your ongoing patience as we work to figure things out to the best of our ability.

And without further ado,

 

~It Just Gets Stranger

15 comments:

  1. I am so unbelievably excited to hear this when I get home from work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was extremely interesting, thanks for putting all that work into bringing this to everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best episode yet. This was amazing. I seriously had chills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing person. I am so happy people like this roam this world. It gives me hope for humanity. Thank you for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I don't even know what to say. Just wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was absolutely terrific. Loved this podcast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phenomenal. One of the most fascinating podcasts I have ever heard. I am so amazed that someone can go through that and turn out the way he did. What an amazing man and what amazing parents he has.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been schooled! Thank you for the education.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow that brings so much light on to an area that I had no previous knowledge about (live in Canada). What a great thing that Jeff is doing for the community! Also another PEI mention, should I be flattered or concerned?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I had no idea how extreme it was. What an amazing person. I feel so much hope after listening to this.

      P.S., the random references to Price Edward Island are one of my favorite things about Strangerville.

      Delete
  10. Just the description gave me the chills. So excited to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This just shows that you never know what someone is dealing with. I have made so many judgements about these people without fully understanding their circumstances. Great podcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought. This really opened my eyes and made me wonder about groups that I've judged unfairly because I just didn't know enough. Thank you so much for this really important podcast.

      Delete
  12. I loved this. I am also a former community member and really appreciate his dispassionate voice and ability to keep from overdramatizing the issue and really just talk about it with kindness and openness. I have nothing but respect for Jeff.

    ReplyDelete