Sunday, November 25, 2018

Brothers?

Skylar and I traveled to visit his family in Portland for Thanksgiving. Matt came with us because he is our child and we are proud of the boy he is becoming.

I hereby suggest that all couples everywhere get a non-biased third party to go with them to visit their partner's family for holidays. It was like bringing along my own personal audience. One who could provide commentary on everything that happens by looking up from their phone periodically and saying things like "be nicer to Skylar" and "get me some food" and "scratch my back right on this spot," because Matt doesn't entirely understand that we aren't his servants.

Skylar's family is lovely and we get along smashingly.

But the whole point of this post is to address the fact that people think that Skylar and Matt look like brothers, which freaks me out. Also, I think these people are wrong.

On our last night in Portland, we went into the city with Skylar's sisters and their husbands. We were at some place that had a photo booth and someone suggested that we check it out.


I posted the only of the four photos the booth took that had all of our faces in it (we are very bad at photo booths, as it turns out).

I noted in the caption on Instagram that we were hanging out with Skylar's family. Within minutes, a handful of people sent me messages saying how much Skylar looks like his brother. Multiple messages asked if they were "twins."


NSFW!


I messaged these people back and asked them which man in the picture they thought was his twin brother, confused, because neither of his two brothers is pictured, and they all referenced "the guy in the very middle."

Matt.

As I was getting these messages, while we sat at a restaurant and I was reading them because I'm very rude and I refuse to change who I am, I lamented the fact that multiple people thought Skylar and Matt looked like brothers, considering that I don't see the resemblance AT ALL, and the waitress who was standing nearby said, "you're not?!" And then she said she assumed they were related.

There's a history of this. The first time Bob and Cathie met Skylar they blurted out in unison, for that is the only way they speak, "YOU LOOK LIKE MATT." (And then they looked at me and screamed "YOU'RE GAY?!")

We have heard similar pronouncements over the years. Neither Skylar, Matt, nor I think they look alike. But this is getting to the point that I feel like the whole world is punking me. And I'm starting to wonder if this is one of those things where all skinny white HOMOSEXUAL men just kind of look the same. And if you think so, that probably means you're racist and this is a hate crime. But seriously, do Skylar and Matt look like brothers? Is my facial blindness betraying me?

~It Just Gets Stranger

27 comments:

  1. They look like they could be related, but not twins at all (well, not identical twins). Skylar's sisters, on the other hand, look like actual twins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh hey Eli this is Lilli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my mom sent you that email about the show

      Delete
  3. I hadn’t ever thought Skylar and Matt looked alike before, but in these photos they do! More like siblings though, not twins. I have this problem with my sisters - everyone thinks the 3 of us look “exactly alike”. When you’re emotionally close to someone, I think you notice all of the tiny little differences and it’s harder to think they look like anyone else!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes, when you post pictures, and I may or may not be paying deep attention, I don't know whether its Matt or Skylar I'm looking at.

    Merry Christmas Casper!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look similar - but I wouldn't put them at even related.

    I have the opposite problem. My siblings and I don't look anything alike in any way. People would never know we were related.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Didn't really see it before, but there is some definite resemblance in the mask of the face. Similar noses (from straight-on, not in profile), lower forehead, brow shape (more to the outside of the face than the inside), apple of their cheeks. I could see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw it in the nose shape as well, but that's really the only similarity I see.

      Delete
  7. Similar, but not brothers. Although I was wondering if maybe with strangers it's because you and Skyler are a couple, so people think extra relative rather than unrelated third wheel? Not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So... I'm not great at recognizing faces so... this whole time I thought that Skylar just looks different depending on the camera angle or something because I have been assuming the pictures of Matt we're also just more pictures of Skylar... they look alike to me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Of course white men all look the same. Why else do you think we have so many Hollywood Chrises?!

    I never realized how similar Matt and Skylar loom until you posted these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They have similar face structures, I could see related, not brothers, maybe cousins, and most definitely not twins.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes....I've gotten them confused in your instagram posts many, many times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I read some of those comments when they started posting, and I thought, "no, that's Matt in the middle, what's wrong with these people?" So I'm with you Eli, I don't think they look alike. Both are totes, natch, but no. Great pics

    ReplyDelete
  13. They're both hot. I'll take whichever is available thankyouverymuchforyourtime

    ReplyDelete
  14. Twins? No. Brothers? Maybe. I mean, they have similar looks and could maybe pass as brothers, but I don't think they look THAT much alike. I've never even thought about it until this post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just marvel at the amazing amount of perfect teeth the people you know seem to have.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Mattlooks kike the twin sisters....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skylar's sisters are twins? I seriously can't tell any more. This is turning into the ugly dress thing.

      Delete
  17. They do look alike. Maybe distant relatives. But more importantly Matt’s “frightened” face is Oscar worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Weighing in with an opinion feels like dangerous territory. Like I'm cringing on the inside the same way I do when I hear white people say "all asians look alike to me". But then I have faceblindness so all brunnette girls with long hair and glasses look IDENTICAL to me and they are all named Becky or Jennifer. And then there was this time where I kept seeing two blonde women at church who looked alike and I assumed it was my faceblindness and they weren't even related. One day they were standing together and I said something really stupid along the lines of "I don't know if it's just me but do people ever tell you that you ladies look alike?". They were actual identical twins, I felt pretty dumb. In my defense they had vastly different hair styles and that always throws me off.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's white, male MILLENNIALS who all look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's the nose, they have similar noses. I see it, but not sure I'd think 'brothers'.

    ReplyDelete