Tuesday, February 4, 2020

I Must Have Praise.

Ok so this is going to be awkward but a couple months ago one of us, and I don't want to name any names here, wrote a pretttttty dramatic post on this site about a knitting project.

It was me. I'll just own it. I was the one who wrote it. Whatever. We all have our moments. Last year you guys started crying when Skylar beat you at Mario Cart.

What? Oh, also me?

This place sucks.

Anyway. You'll recall I was working on this scarf that was eleventy thousand percent over my head. I had fooled myself into thinking I could do anything. No task was too big for this guy. I channeled my inner-participation-trophy-loving-coddled-millennialism and determined I was too big to fail! (Not a fat joke.)

And then the next thing I knew I was repeatedly throwing, nay chucking, a ball of yarn and needles across a room and screaming so many profanities no one ever gets to go to heaven again.

Not even Moses you guys.

Eventually I kind of sort of figured it out and even though it took so much brain power that I am now personally the leading cause of Climate Change, I got this [string of obscenities] project [string of obscenities] the [particular obscenity] done.

[Obscenity.]


I have photos to prove it since you people think I'm a liar:






For my knittin-bitches out there (you know who you are), this is a brioche scarf with eleventy hundred million increases and decreases and slip stitches. One of the stitches was legit a slip brioche and single stitch, knit them together on the right needle, pass knitted stitch to left needle, pass next stitch over knitted stitch, pbinc (WTF) remaining stitch (by pulling up mother stitch, moving back to left needle and purling once while leaving on the needle, passing yarn over, and purling a second time.

The mother [obscenity] thing I just described for you above was ONE STITCH on this pattern.

I legit had to get one-on-one tutoring from a woman at the knitting store who almost quit her whole career because of this just to understand that ONE. STITCH.

The pattern called for 64. SIXTY. FOUR.

One two three four five carry the one multiply by the integer SIXTY FOUR unique rows.

Do you know how hard it is to keep track of where you are in the pattern when there are SIXTY FOUR longgggg. LONGGGGG. strings of stitch abbreviations for each of those rows printed in size lawyer font on FIVE pages of flimsy paper? Now imagine there's a TV on and it CANNOT be turned off.

IT'S HARD.

I posted these pictures on Instagram tonight and like ninety hundred and four people were like CAN I HAVE THE PATTERN and I'm like NO YOU MAY NOT.

Why? Because I would not send this pattern to my worst enemy.

So unless you were on Glee at some point, do not even bother for a second asking me for this pattern.

Ok. Fine. I'll give it to you if you really want it. But only if you sign a liability waiver because I don't know if my homeowner's insurance covers lawsuits of this nature.

Now PRAISE ME.

~It Just Gets Stranger

31 comments:

  1. Wow-impressive! I am just learning to knit and am not beyond K2 P2, so I am IN AWE. I BOW DOWN. Also, you have great hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have great use of my hands, so I am amazed at the patience some people have in perfecting difficult techniques. I am in awe. The scarf is exquisite! It's delicate, elegant, and beautiful. You are a talented knitter! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous and I know how difficult this was! I enjoy complicated patterns. K1, p 2 gets very boring very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s insanely beautiful! You should be so proud. My one attempt at knitting has me in complete awe. Truly amazing. Who gets it??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it for my younger sister. I decided to make a scarf for each of my sisters--this was the last of the three (and far and away the most complicated).

      Delete
    2. Cathy unofficially adopted me (she doesn't know this yet but I'm an orphan so I think she'd understand) so that makes me unofficially one of your sisters which means you officially need to knit me a scarf.

      Delete
  5. Most of what you wrote here is completely Greek purled by Latin passed over by Mandarin and pulled my Mother Russian to me. But the scarf is beautiful and I'm highly impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw the picture of Duncan this morning and thought your knitting was really coming along (not that I know; I don’t knit) and then wondered if this was ~ T H A T ~ piece.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so beautiful! You have done so many things in your life that you can use to say, "I completed _____, obviously, I can do anything!" But this might be the real "I can do anything" moment of your life. (Also, this is what I love about knitting, you go in with confidence and then you work a single 27 step stitch (repeat from * 300 times) and next thing you know, you have a gorgeous, squishy, understated but clearly luxury scarf that single-handedly caused 8 people to reconsider their whole lives.)

    Not that you'll ever need it now that you've completed this masterpiece, but just in case, my yarn store sells highlighter tape that a lot of people will use to mark the row they're on in the chart. Possibly also in a written pattern.

    *Goes to find the pattern on Ravelry*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My knitting store gave me some highlighter tape for free when they saw me having a meltdown (I spend roughly $250,000 there a year so they really don't want me to quit knitting). It was a lifesaver.

      Delete
  8. Found it! The description says this is good for a new briocher and a joy to work. 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

    (I'm laughing at the pattern description, not your Herculean struggle. Any brioche with that many increases and decreases is not a good pattern for a new briocher).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FOR REAL??? It says that? Maybe that's why I chose this pattern. I honestly cannot imagine what an advanced brioche patter must look like if they think this one is good for new briochers. Even the people at my knitting store were overwhelmed in trying to help me through it.

      Delete
    2. I don't know either. Maybe the designer hit her head before she wrote the description. I once knit a 10 foot long, chunky, two color brioche scarf. I would recommend that as a second or third brioche project. This pattern is at least like a 5th or 6th brioche project.

      Fixing brioche is a nightmare because of the way you put the yarn over the slipped stitches. I can drop down and fix a lot of mistakes, but in brioche I have to tink or frog back to the mistake. And that's in just straight, single color brioche. Wool bless you, and all the people at your knitting store.

      Delete
    3. This was actually my second brioche project. I did a two-colored basic brioche scarf a couple years ago (no increases or decreases or cabling). It took me a bit to get the hang of but then it was pretty easy. I think two-color brioche is much easier than single-color because you can see the pattern better and identify mistakes faster. This was a nightmare.

      Delete
  9. When my grandmother died I was in middle school and my parents gave me a roll up filled with sets of different kinds of knitting needles and crochet hooks. A few years ago I pull it out, dusted it off, and thought "knitting, how hard can it be?!?". I talked my aunt into trying to teach me how to knit a basic scarf. I quit knitting 6 inches into that scarf. This scarf, your brioche scarf, makes me want to cry looking at it. It is a thing of beauty Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is gorgeous, and you couldn't pay me enough to knit it myself. You couldn't even pay me to buy it, because that would mean that someone else would have to suffer to create it, and I don't want that kind of hate-karma directed towards me!!! But if I had accomplished what you have accomplished, and finished that [expletive] sucker, you better believe I would wear it all day, every day, every situation, every occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don’t understand one word of your knitting lingo, but would like to be notified when you make a whole bunch of these and start selling them on Etsy, please. It’s gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, could you knit a sweater for me? It will be so pretty and I can't manage to get through the first few rows. (I did figure out the "hard" stitch in it) I don't think my brain is wired for how they write patterns. Hubby suggested I write them for my brain instead but I'm not sure how to start.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't think that was meant to be created by human hands. You accidentally hacked into the gods network and attempted the impossible work of Arachne herself. We bow before you in awe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang it so now we all have to get into Eli’s heaven.

      Delete
  14. It's beautiful. I know nothing of knitting so I can only imagine how many Emmys, Grammys, Oscars and Tonys you deserve. More EGOTs for you than anyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It truly is beautiful, I would treasure it if I were lucky enough to get one (hinting but not hinting).
    Also, bless you, my eyes glazed over after the 5th word in on that ONE stitch. I only know how to crochet, and only how to do the straight double stitch. Oh, and a shell border which is really me just winging it and it looks 'fine'.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bow to your greatness--I learned to knit and crochet in Merry Miss class (dating me here- that's the 11-12 year old girls in Primary in the LDS church). I have never done more than a basic knit/purl pattern so I am SUPER impressed at your talent. I turned to cross-stitch, which is my anxiety medicine and do very complex patterns that others think are SOOO hard, to each their own. WAY TO GO-You have my AWE.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eli--I'm an experienced knitter. I have won competitions (brag) and have been knitting for forty years. This is honestly truly impressive by any standards. I can see the intricacies and complications this pattern required you to figure out. Even a lot of experienced knitters struggle with the most basic brioche patterns. I'm amazed that you've only been knitting for a couple years. You have advanced so far.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ELI THIS IS GORGEOUS ARE YOU KIDDING ME

    I’m not a fellow knitting-witching-whatchamacallme, but I crochet, and recently I got 24 out 48 rows into a handmade rug for my daughter only to realize I have done it completely wrong 🙃🙃🙃

    Also, I need you to take back some of the profanity, because I can’t have you denying my baptismal privileges like that.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't want the pattern. I want the scarf! Just whip me up one. My birthday is July 2. I'll email you my address ☺️

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW. I lose count when I am measuring more than 3 cups of flour, so I have decided knitting will not be the hobby for me😂 But holy Moses, they will let you into heaven and overlook your language if you are wearing this amazing scarf I bet. ALL HAIL ELI! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am late to the praise show, but for really real, good work done sir.

    ReplyDelete
  22. All I can think of for praise is this :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

    ReplyDelete
  23. That is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen.

    ReplyDelete