Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Lost Journal Series: Part I

Recently I rediscovered my childhood after finding a very entertaining pile of journals. After staying up late for a couple of nights in a row to read entry after entry, occasionally looking over my shoulder to make sure nobody was around because of how mortified I was about some of the things I wrote in said journals, I knew there were only two things I could do: 1) bury/burn/hide the journals and desperately attempt to forget about them, or 2) share them with the world. The second option sounded more exciting. So I now present for you the first of a series that will take place over the next several days called "The Lost Journal Series." I will type these exactly as written, mistakes and all. Anything found in [brackets] is my contemporary commentary and explanation. Enjoy.


September 8, 1994 (age 10):


Today I woke up at 5:30 in the morning. I got ready for school and Jamie and Easten came to walk to school with us. They walk to school with us everday. We walk so fast. We are friends. I like summer. Math time is not fun. What is that? [???] My teachers name is Ms. Daniels. We have a prymantis [Praying Mantis] at home and she layed eggs. We found another one and put them in the same box. They started to fight. One of them ate the other. [This may be the source of my fear of all living things]. I would never eat one, especially if I was one. [I still feel this way, btw]. I bet that prymantis we put in the box with the mom doesn't even have any friends. [Because he keeps eating them?]. On our street we always play games. Now we are having races on our bikes. My sister has a job. Micalyne did something to her elbow. She has a cast. I want a cast [for attention].


September 19, 1994 (age 10):


Today when we went to school there was grafity everywhere. There were no swearwords but there were mean things. At school Tyler told me some [here I proceed, nonsensically, to write the entire alphabet in cursive]. I used to think Tyler was mean but now he's really nice. [This observation would fluctuate throughout the remainder of my childhood. But in retrospect, he was mean]. We went to a park today.


September 23, 1994 (age 10):


All of my friends like me. I think they like me the most. [This part of my personality has remained mostly unchanged in the last 17 years]. But I'm not sure. Maybe they like other friends a lot. There should be a test to find out who is best friends. But I can jump really far. [Relevant?]. We made stuff for our teacher at school because she had a baby or something. [Or something? Like, she had something and it might have been a baby?]. I hope she comes back soon but I do think she should raise her baby right now. [Opinionated, already at age 10. And here comes the very strange insight into child-rearing]. Unless there is a daddy at home to raise it. Then she should come back to school and the dad should be responsible for it. Because he is a parent to not just the mom. They just need to decide what they are going to do with there baby. But they shoudnt give it to an orfinage. Unless it's a nice one and they can live there to and keep raising there baby. Because they could help take care of other babies to that got lost and have to live there right now. I'm 10. I heard that when babies are small, they need to be held like all day or else they will probably grow up to be mean. On my baptism my friends were all there. [My baptism took place more than 2 years before this entry. I think this was in response to a recent lesson in church about writing down details about important events]. Most of my relatives came. I should eat a snack.


[Below the entry is a drawing of a person sliding down a water slide. There is absolutely no explanation for this. And the drawing is terrible].


September 27, 1994 (age 10):


Today at school we started SAT tests. There really easy tests that take about one hour. At lunch my friend Sam always spills his drink all over me. [I'm positive this never happened more than one time]. Today he spilt MY drink all over me. After school me and Jared played. We can't figure out if aliens visited our backyards. [Is 10 too old for this? Please tell me this is normal 10 year old behavior]. But we found this metal piece and we are pretty sure it came from a UFO. [This was based on absolutely nothing logical, if I remember correctly. I believe we found it when we were about 7 years old and we held onto it for years]. But we are going to keep looking for more pieces. [Strangely we never found any]. My aunt Barbara played a board game with me. She is really nice. For Halloween I'm going to be a neard. Jared keeps changing his mind first he said he was going to be a skelatin then half man half woman then an old lady then a Tales from the cript Keeper. I don't know what he will say next. I'm 10.


September 28, 1994 (age 10):


Today I decided I don't want to be a neard for Halloween. Torie kept going daaaaaaa[the "a's" continue for the remainder of the page] all day! [This was a game we played well into middle school where we each took turns yelling in class until one of us got into trouble. My friendship with Torie was responsible for the vast majority of days I had to spend sitting at Ms. Painter's desk in the third grade].


~It Just Gets Stranger

5 comments:

  1. Bwahhh haaaahhhh haaaaaahhh!! Love it! Admittedly, it did make me feel pretty old, though. :-)

    September, 1994: I was home from my mission over a year, married 7 months [not to the boy who had waited for me, but to the one who swept me off my feet on a fateful blind date 3 months after I got home and said boy who had waited for me royally dumped me], and owned a home (all be it a tin can trailer...but it was our home and we owned it!) We were both still in school at USU. Blaine was working full time nights and was selling Avon! I was finally settled down enough in life to enroll in a major I could actually get serious about finishing and could see the reality of college graduation on the horizon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again... you have given me a nice daily dose of laughter. Thank you for sharing! Nice insight into how a 10-year-old mind works... haha. Come to think of it, mine still kind of works that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just so happened to find my way to your blog after a referral from a friend of mine...Oh my goodness. This is hilarious. I read my journal from when I was eight the other day and it was just as bizarre. I was a spunky little punk. Anyway, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I ran across your blog on facebook and have spent the last few hours of my day giggling myself silly over it. I have had to wipe away the tears. The journal entries, definitely the best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you kept telling us "I'm 10." Isn't it funny how our minds could switch from subject to subject... wait mine still does.

    Thanks for sharing your lost journals

    ReplyDelete