Friday, December 13, 2013

Pictures from my Phone & Weekly Distractions

Just rolled back into Salt Lake City after a very fun night at The Porch. I should have the videos up for you over the weekend. A huge thanks to those of you who came out tonight. As always, it was so fun to meet you and laugh together and try on one another's clothes. And a special thanks, as always, to Ms. Jolyn Metro, who filmed it. Jo Metro, I don't know what I would do without you. I mean, I would be able to live with a lot less fear, but what's the fun in that?

And now, your pictures and distractions.

Lights turning on across the street from my office.


Snapchat from my friend Ben who is trying his hand lately at Snapchat puns.

No.

I walked out to my parked car on Sunday to find that it was completely smashed up in several places. Fortunately homegirl left a note.

Just about to begin the 8th annual Turtlenog party in the common room at my apartment building. Despite the blizzard outside, it turned out to be a complete success. 

Turtlenog! I drank enough eggnog for all of us. FOR ALL OF US.


Crap to distract you from whatever you're supposed to be doing:

Inspiring video that puts our planet in perspective. Thanks, Kyle.

A collection of lies told to children. Thanks, Margee.

Nativity scene overrun by feral cats. Thanks, Karen.

I don't want no bunny banana frog ok no way! Thanks, Brian.

I think Christmas is over the top. But this is kind of fun.  Thanks, Melissa.

If it has to be winter, you might as well have a colorful igloo. Thanks, Melissa.

31 building fails. Thanks, Emma.

Let's all take a minute to mock California's very confused understanding of the word "cold." Thanks, Paul.

~It Just Gets Stranger

22 comments:

  1. The Carl Sagan video was cool... but the Unilever ad before it made me cry. Curse you, Unilever!
    As always, thanks for the distractions, Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How's about I send you a picture of the temperatures up here from the prairies of Canada. Then you can say no. I'll take your temps every day.

    Love the mountains in the back of your first pic. I love mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eli, your performance at the Porch last night was AWESOME. Thank you for that. It was funny and sweet and a really great evening. My husband and I talked about your story the whole way home and I can't wait to watch it again. It was great to meet you too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It's my annual turtle necks and eggnog party. Although many people were angry that I did not wear a turtleneck this year.

      Delete
    2. That is amazing!

      Delete
  5. I love the Westjet video. But to do it justice you really need to see the full video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIEIvi2MuEk But be warned, I had tears running down my face when I watched it. It's such a feel good story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job last night, Eli. Nice to meet you in person.

    I liked your shirt, but you forgot to give me back my shoe. We'll have to meet up again soon so we can switch back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Jo Metro!!! He's so funny! Hooray for people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was good friends with Dan (and, consequently Jo) in high school. I promise I'm not just incredibly creepy.

      Delete
    2. Jo is a girl...you put "he's so funny"

      Delete
  8. Poor, poor Californians. I love that they're all decked out in scarves and hats and thick gloves. Oh, look, a breeze! The leaves, they're moving! Ha ha ha... Can I move there now, please??!!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey don't mock our pain! It's cold here!

      In my defense, earlier this week when LA was whining about it being 60, it was between 40 and 45 up here in the Bay Area, with it being like 30 in the mornings, although, that might've been last week, and we're less apt to sensationalize our weather...we usually just warn for the important things, like when there's a frost advisory, yes that's actually a thing here!! no it's not actually sunshine and roses all year long, guys...yes, I want my money back, I paid a premium for sunshine and warmth, dammit! I should complain to the legislature!

      Delete
    2. My hometown in Northern California was -17'F last week. Suck it up and put on your big girl panties, Bay Area.

      Delete
  9. Eli, don't complain about Salt Lake being cold! That time Monday morning, I was walking to the bus in -14 degrees. The warmest it got in Cache Valley that day was 7!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey don't make fun of places where we don't handle cold well! Yes, frost advisories and freeze warnings are real here in the south. There's a reason I live here - I hate the cold! And you better believe I am wearing my puffy jacket and knit cap on the way from my car into work in the mornings when it's in the 30s and 40s! But I do agree that showing footage of "leaves moving" is pretty ridiculous.... do they not have wind in LA?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd like to nominate Gadi Schwartz from Lancaster (in the California cold snap video) for a Telling It Like It Is award. "It's 42 degrees here. It could be snowing if the temperature were to drop a little more." You don't say....

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's true.What do you mean Californians don't understand the word "cold"? If it's under 72 degrees, it's cold. Simple enough.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ummm I live in Texas and I think the cold complaining video is ridiculous! But funny.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think you drive my car - is that a wonderfully beige Nissan Sentra? Poor thing.

    ReplyDelete