Tuesday, July 1, 2014

The Porch: Korean Bathhouse

It's a happy day. We finally got the video from the most recent show at The Porch uploaded on what the kids are calling "the Youtubes." A huge thanks to Jolyn for filming it and Kyle for uploading it. You two are the wind beneath our wings and we love you with every fiber of our beings. Please get together and make babies already so this world can finally know perfection.

Also, it's a sad week for the United States of God Bless America. Jolyn Metro is abandoning our great nation to frolic somewhere in South America for the summer. AND ON OUR COUNTRY'S BIRTHDAY OF ALL TIMES.

I don't remember where she's going. All I know is that she's going to be gone for way too long. Why do all the people who live in my house immediately flee the country?


I'm looking at you, Rebecca "I'm moving to Paris" Living-in-sin.

We'll miss Jolyn. Fortunately, as I understand it, she's planning on staying in South America "just for the night."

And now, here's the video from The Porch.



~It Just Gets Stranger

14 comments:

  1. The USA will miss Jolyn. Hope she has a great summer. We'll miss her shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet she'll get to see lots of different owls in South America. I wonder if she knows any owl puns in Spanish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does Jolyn have an instagrams account? I want to follow her on her "just for the night" tour down there. Also, I kind of feel bad for the people down there. They have no idea what they're getting themselves into letting her into their countries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed she does. I just looked her up and there she was. Now we can all stalk both Eli AND Jolyn

      Delete
  5. Loved the video!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Eli, you are hilarious. And yes, I bet they all knew you had the key on your ankle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You hair looks amazing! I laughed so hard! Thanks for the funny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was a missionary in Korea from 2000 to 2002. Back before everyone had indoor plumbing, bath houses were the only place to shower/bathe. The reason you only saw old men is because they grew up meeting friends there and so it became a social thing. We went a couple of times to really experience Korea. So, a few points. 1) I don't think they scrub each other's backs. That was just some weird guy messing with you. 2) You missed out. They had the ice cold, medium, hot, and scald you to death tubs in the places I went, but one of the 'resort' places even had a mud tub, a green tea tub and an ALOE tub. 3) Next time you go to Korea, don't do the bath house. Get a haircut! Koreans love American hair. We had to get our hair cut regularly, and the Korean ladies were fascinated by the our soft, light-colored hair. They'd do free shampoos, just so they could play with it more. (Of course, they had no idea how to handle our hair - I looked like I had a mushroom haircut for the entire time!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are my favorite person on the planet, Eli. My favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never been but the scrubbing each other's back is actually pretty well-known. There's been a few scenes in Korean dramas that show it. Also, a famous baseball player, Park Chan-ho, told a story about how he was new to the States and showering in the locker room and tried to get his new teammate to wash his back. (He quickly realized we're not so comfortable touching our friends when we're naked.) There's a Canadian couple who live in Korea and the explain the whole Jjimjilbang (Korean bathhouse) experience: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_-_AyjrPCY

    Hope that makes you feel better, knowing some random old man wasn't just messing with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? In all the times I went, I never saw anyone scrubbing each other's backs. I guess not having watched any Korean dramas, I didn't know! (Missionaries aren't exactly encouraged to watch TV... It's a little TOO educational in a foreign country.)

      Delete
    2. My brother in law also served in Korea and he said they would scrub each other's backs. It's a common bath house practice in at least Turkey too.

      Delete