Sunday, October 13, 2019

First Husband

Skylar likes introducing me to people as his "first husband."

He did this when we went to get our marriage license. He marched up to the county clerk and said, "excuse me. My first husband and I would like to get married."

Then he giggled to himself. This joke never stops being funny to him. 

At the end of our wedding he sighed, said he was tired, and then added, "but I'm glad we did this. It's really given me some great ideas for my next wedding."

Earlier this year a friend asked us if we think we'll ever have kids. Skylar responded, "yes. What about you, Eli? Do you think you'll ever have kids?"

Yesterday he asked me a lot of very specific questions about my life insurance policy. When I asked why he wanted to know, he just laughed and then changed the subject. 

Maybe I deserve all of this. He is still saved in my phone as "Skylar Tinder," after all.

Please enjoy some Strangerville (and get your tickets for November 8 Strangerville Live here):


This time in Strangerville, Eli might be a boomer, but also, so is Meg. Also, a story about getting detained at a border.
Story:
Detained, by Eli McCann
Production by Eli McCann & Meg Walter

~It Just Gets Stranger

11 comments:

  1. Better than “arm candy”, as a nickname, or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to travel with your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have two sons. The older one is enamored with his little brother, which is understandable because this baby is literally the cutest human being alive. My older son started referring to himself as the baby’s “first mother,” with the obvious explanation that babies love moms more than dads, and that he wants to be first in line for custody rights as soon as he can figure out nursing. This is normal, right...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please say this is normal... Someone. Anyone... ?? Happens at our house too. He's 7 and the "baby" is 3.

      Delete
    2. I don’t know what to say is normal and what isn’t. My kid pretended she was a dog all the way home tonight and then ate a glow stick when we got home. Poison Control probably recognizes my voice when I call.

      Delete
  4. My husband likes to say “when you divorce me I’m going to...” all the time.

    Jokes on him. I’m never getting divorced and he’s stuck with me and will never get that tiny house he so desperately wants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He clearly needs you to live to stop him from buying that tiny house . . . those things are ridiculous!

      Delete
  5. My exhusband used to tell me that I was worth more to him dead than alive when he was mad about something. Then he would go into detail about what he would do with my life insurance money. It wasn't funny, so I cancelled my life insurance policy and let him know that I was worth more to him alive than dead and he was pissed, which was kind of funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In anger, that is terrifying. I'm glad he's an ex. I hope you have life insurance again, with a beneficiary who will pay for your funeral instead of murdering you for boat money.

      Delete
    2. Jenny I'm glad he's an ex as well. I should be a responsible grown up and get life insurance but lazy.

      Delete
  6. My husband has a substantial life insurance policy. If he dies, I really don't ever have to worry about money again. When he got a motorcyle a few year back I told him that if he has an accident he has two options - be completely fine or die. No middle ground. We can't afford for him to be disabled, even for a short period of time. Be fine or die. This has become a running joke between us whenever he does something I think is stupid: Be fine or die.

    Until recently when my son expressed how much he hated that I kept telling his father to die!

    I do keep saying it - now I'm just careful not to say it when my son is around and can hear me.

    ReplyDelete