Tuesday, March 25, 2014

I Have Terrible Ideas in the Middle of the Night

Do you ever do things in the middle of the night that make absolutely no sense?

Sometimes in the middle of the day an idea will come to me about something I should write. I try to jot these ideas down as they come so I can hash them out later when I have time. Some of the best ideas have come to me in a dream or in the middle of the night when I wake up in a cold sweat because THE IRONMAN IS APPROACHING.

Last week I woke up with an idea. It was not one of the good ones. It was one that didn't make any sense whatsoever. But apparently I thought it was a good enough of an idea to go to great efforts to preserve it and see it through.


It occurred to me, in my half-asleep state, that when one tries to close a Word document without saving the changes, Word pops open a message that asks, "Do you want to save the changes you made to [document name]?"

And I suddenly realized that if I named this document "Your Life," Word would ask me this:


The thought seemed SO profound. Profound enough that in the middle of the night I got up, turned on my computer, opened a Word document, named it "Your LIFE," attempted to close it, and then took a picture with my phone. Not even a straight picture.

Then I wrote on a piece of scratch paper: "Changes are yes accepted. Or no. Or you could cancel. Because you can always cancel the changes you made. Which is different than no. Does this make any sense? I think it does. I'll find out tomorrow."

And I remember climbing back into bed, very proud of myself for coming up with SUCH a great idea for SUCH an inspirational post.

Guys. I don't need to drink.

~It Just Gets Stranger

19 comments:

  1. Your hair looks marvelous today, Eli.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only there were a do-over button for life! But, at least for me, I don't realize I should not have saved until it's way too late!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Eli...you just spoke to my soul. My changes are now yes accepted. Life. Word.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you took that file, then made a copy of it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you put "Your LIFE" in the Recycling Bin, you could always restore it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is so much to be written in your LIFE. Pages and pages.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now all we need is one of those EASY buttons from Office Depot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It could be really hilarious to write down the thoughts I have in the middle of the night. Because they rarely make any kind of sense.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think this is terrible at all. :) I like it.
    Country Girl’s Daybook ~ recently: How personal is too personal? http://bit.ly/1jo8A3E

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please write an entire blog post in the middle of the night sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So I was reading some of the earlier posts from when you lived in Palau and decided to Google Palau to get an idea of what is was like beyond "it's really really hot". Did you know your blog is featured on Palau's Wikipedia page under the 'Foreign Media" section? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palau

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh. My. Gosh. This almost counts as my dream of having my own Wikipedia page!

      Delete
    2. I think this necessitates creating your own Wiki page! Twice up the barrel, once down the side needs it's own section. And the Snuggie texts. And Daniel. Especially Daniel.

      Delete
    3. This prompted me to actually search you on google, this came up http://curioussoup.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-letter-to-eli-mccann-with-whom-i-am.html not sure if you have seen it yet (it was posted in 2013) in case you haven't i thought i would share.

      Delete
  12. i'm impressed you could read your writing the next morning. usually when this happens to me it looks like my "notes" were written by a monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I'm mad at people I change their name in my phone to "no" or "don't do it" so when I go to text them Im reminded that I shouldn't. great minds here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, with my luck I'd get a call from Don't Do it, and I'd have to answer to know who it was.

      Delete