Thursday, April 10, 2014

Pictures from my Phone & Weekly Distractions

Last night I hosted the weekly Survivor party at my place (is anyone out there watching Survivor?). I'm trying to turn the party hosting into a cutthroat competition by having good food available and sucking up to all of the attendees by complimenting their hair. Mr. Disney Prince Hair (Brandt) and I alternate hosting it and every week great efforts are made to outdo the last attempt to win the affections of others.

So yesterday I decided to make banana bread. Living-in-sin-roommate, Rebecca, who swears that she can't eat anything that is considered "food" by respectable society, mentioned that I could try to make this bread gluten free. She then pulled out what I now believe was just sawdust and suggested that I replace the flour with it. So I did as she asked.

Is there a disease where your body can only process foods that have gluten in them? Because I think I have that.

And now, your Pictures and Distractions:
From my bike ride this week up the canyon. I almost died of overexertion getting to this point. Please tell me the Ironman is going to be all down hill.  
My sister tried to get me to dress as Queen Elsa for Emrie's birthday party but all of my dresses were too slutty. 

My friend, Shaelee, was complaining to me while I took this picture that she bought this shirt without realizing what the pattern was.

Ready for dinner company with my Mexican dishes.

We threw a birthday party for Val in a party room in my building. Brandt and I were tasked with retrieving water. We found a shopping cart and filled everything in my apartment that could hold water and brought it back to the party. Carting this down the hall was the trashiest I've felt since every day in Palau when I walked around in my underwear because HOT.


Crap to distract you from whatever you're supposed to be doing:

A confusing Tinder conversation. Thanks, Melanie.

A dad makes action videos with his toddler. Thanks, Trisha.

Super weird Japanese gum commercial. Thanks, Peggy.

A chicken footstool. Thanks, Brenna.

Totally unnecessary use of quotation marks. Thanks, Kathleen.

Incredibly strange dog grooming. Thanks, Kim.

Really cool then and now photos. Thanks, Emelle.

Leotrix's Swedish cousin. Thanks, Jessica.

A feel good video about pranking it forward. Thanks, Josh.

Awesome classroom April Fools' Day prank. Thanks, Zac.

The worst taxidermy EVER. Thanks, Brittany.

An owl video I'll dedicate to Jolyn Metro. Thanks, Leslie.

If you would like to have something included in Pictures and Distractions, please email me at itjustgetsstranger@gmail.com.

~It Just Gets Stranger

28 comments:

  1. What IS the pattern on that shirt? Alien heads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siamese cats, I think...

      Delete
    2. um... sperm? My question is, if she now KNOWS what the pattern is and is embarrassed or offended by it, why does she still wear it? Give it to Goodwill! (Or, ya know, ELI)

      In other news, You're Welcome, Eli! Woo Hoo! I made the cut! :D

      Delete
    3. I saw penguins when I looked at it...

      Delete
    4. Thanks a lot Emelle!!! Those Then and Now Photos totally made me all teary eyed.

      Delete
    5. What is the pattern? It kinda looks like pairs of white chromosomes.

      Delete
    6. sausage links?

      Delete
    7. I stared at it for the longest time. Could be lungs, sausages, geese, or cats.

      Delete
    8. It's cats. The black thingies are the legs, tail, and face.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we watch Survivor and read your blog - too cool you host Survivor parties, wild season so far! Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. NO THANKS, "Jessica"! That enormous rat is going to live in my nightmares for weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, "Anonymous"! But Eli is the one who actually posted it on his blog.

      Delete
    2. Nice try, Jessica. You're not going to pass this one off onto me. You know I have a problem where I HAVE to share links people send me about giant rats.

      Delete
  5. Knowing it's a Survivor party, I wonder if that is balut you are serving or just Brussels sprouts. Also wondering which one would be worse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, there are flour mix recipes out there that allow you to make gluten free banana bread that just tastes like banana bread. Try this one - it's been eaten by dozens of people who never knew (or cared) that it was gluten free: http://lifetastesgoodagain.blogspot.com/2011/04/banana-muffins.html?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  7. The awful taxidermy wins! Oh my goodness, I'm going to follow them on twitter riiiiiight...NOW! (What do I love so much about the crappy taxidermy? Oh, maybe because they look like my drawings of actual animals, because I'm the opposite of artistic.)

    Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I watch two seasons of survivor at a time because I missed the ones from the mission and I'm still so obsessed with all of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Woohoo, I see you finally fulfilled my request of more pictures of girls. That is one hot friend you have there Eli. Thank you, you are no longer dead in my eyes (I may not have said it openly...but I may have been thinking it considering how many pictures of Daniel, Brandt and Kyle I've had to endure...no matter how much Daniel looks like a cross between Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck).

    As for the pattern on her shirt...I have no idea what it is but I want to know what she thinks it might be. I'm thinking either sperm swimming (like someone else suggested), or a vagina (not really but I'm grasping at straws here), or the upper torso of a female with the 2 dots and nipples? I have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. definitely profile view of sitting siamese cats. The white part is the body, the black swirly is the tail. They alternate head up/head down. It's no wonder Eli doesn't share more pictures of women with creepers like you following the blog.

      Delete
    2. LOL creepers like me. That's funny. Are you a troll? Probably. So it's ok for all the women to make comments about all the pics of the guys he posts pictures of, but it's not ok for me to say one of his friends who are girls is hot? And that makes me a creeper. Ok hypocrite. I think you should post more anonymous messages all over the internetz.

      Regarding the shirt, they don't look like sitting siamese cats to me. And I don't think Shaelee thought they looked that way either. Why would she be complaining about a shirt with siamese cats on it? It has to be something more embarrassing then that.

      Delete
    3. cats and cat-print clothes may seem popular on this blog, but did you know most people talking about them on here are being ironic? At least, I think they are...
      Funny you think I am a troll AND a hypocrite for calling you a creeper whem you are making such vulgar comments about a modest woman's shirt. Maybe someone feels a little guilty. Just sayin, if that's where your mind is, maybe it's better for the women in Eli's life to not get trotted out in front of you.

      Delete
    4. If it was the vulgar comments then you should have said that in the first place. The only reason I posted those comments were because she was embarrassed about wearing the shirt. Cats on a shirt are not embarrassing (not to mention, those don't even look like cats...in any way shape or form), so I was trying to think of what possibly they could be that would be embarrassing for someone to wear. Just cause I have a dirty mind doesn't make me a creeper. Just means I have a dirty mind...like quite a few people who've posted on this blog from what I've read. Get off your soap box and learn to laugh.

      Delete
  10. You guys should try a gluten free brand called Pamela's. The baking/pancake mix can be used for pretty much anything and doesn't taste healthy, a.k.a, like sand and birdseed.

    ReplyDelete