Wednesday, July 22, 2015

THE GREATEST DAY OF THE YEAR!

You guys.

Are you sitting down? Are you in a padded room? Have you taken your Xanax? Is there someone around to restrain you?

You guys!

PIONEER DAY IS THIS WEEK!!!!

And now the July 24th Pioneer Day is even more special because it is also Tami's birthday!

I can't believe she's one already. So many hair styles in such a short amount of time.

In case you live under a rock and are somehow unaware of THE GREATEST HOLIDAY OF ALL TIME IN THE HISTORY OF ALL THE HOLIDAYS DURING WHICH THERE IS A PARADE AND SANTA ROLLS DOWN THE STREET IN A RECLINER:



In case you are somehow unaware of what this glory is, let me enlighten you.

Pioneer Day is a Utah State holiday during which Salt Lake City SHUTS THE HELL DOWN. It celebrates the day the Mormon pioneers made it into the Salt Lake Valley and established our great city. And in Salt Lake City, we do not mess around in celebrating this holiday. There's a giant parade, covered wagons, dancing in the streets, a gigantic marathon, festivals, and a huge firework show.  I've heard people refer to the 4th of July as "Pre-Pioneer Day."

Wikipedia says it best: "While the holiday has strong links to the LDS Church, it is a celebration of everyone . . ."

You guys. It is a celebration of EVERYONE! That means you! WE ARE CELEBRATING YOU! Tami has been making refreshments for everyone all week in anticipation!

To the outside world, it might look like a schizophrenic holiday. Some Mormons march down the streets in pioneer clothes to commemorate the pioneer sacrifices. Some people refer to the holiday as Pie-n-beer Day and they spend 12 hours bar hopping and eating pizza.

But one thing is for sure. EVERYONE is happy on Pioneer Day. There is truly no reason to be anything but happy when children are singing "Utah! This is the Place!"

Take a moment, if you haven't done so recently, and refresh your memory of this triumphant song and hand actions by watching this video. And rest assured, I will be performing it in its entirety ALL DAY LONG.

If you can make it through that video without smiling and wanting desperately to come to Salt Lake City and celebrate with me, well then I GUESS THIS ISN'T EVEN AMERICA ANYMORE.

It's going to be the greatest Pioneer Day of all time because every Pioneer Day is the greatest Pioneer Day of all time. That's just how Pioneer Day works.

So please join me in giddy celebration this Friday.

Tami even bought a new pioneer bonnet for it.

~It Just Gets Stranger

18 comments:

  1. Tami's birthday is the same day as my mom, Debi.
    It is a sign they should best friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually can withstand shuddering when you show pictures of Tami, but I couldn't hold it in this time. *shudder*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember working for an international company in the 24/7 customer service call center. It was always SO fun to explain to people why credit and account managers weren't available to help them on July 24.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I legitimately love Pioneer Day. AND I'M NOT AFRAID TO ADMIT IT.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thinking we need a more recent pic of Tami, as I'm sure she's grown in a year (my own Tami wannabe was born from a marathon in November and she's grown back in). C'mon, I bet Tami was knee-high by the 4th of July... Unless you haven't been getting adequate nutrition! Pie-n-beer, indeed! (Not that we know anything about that, Cathie)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every time I read your Blog, I want to move to SLC Utah. Every. Single. Time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha that video brings back some memories.. That song used to get so stuck in our heads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that song!!!!! It still gets stuck in my head no less than 10 times a year.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hold up - wait a minute . . . . they serve BEER in SLC???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! I thought the same thing, I always try to convince my husband that we should go to SLC and see the sights because it looks BEAUTIFUL, but since we're not Mormon he doesn't understand why. Maybe I can convince him with beer... and pizza!

      Delete
  10. I cannot believe I have lived my entire life as an active Mormon (I'm 43) and I have NEVER HEARD THIS SONG! I feel like I have been let down by every Primary teacher I ever knew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard it at church. It's an elementary school song for pageant stuff.

      Delete
  11. I live in Utah, but I had to work pretty much all day on Pioneer Day. *cue sad music and me walking away with drooping shoulders*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Every year I'm a bit baffled as I see the U.S. of God Bless America's flag displayed all over the place at the 24th of July celebrations.
    The pioneers were fleeing the United States because they were mobbed, persecuted, and didn't receive protection.

    So, I call on you, Eli, to design a special Pioneer Day Flag that we can display in our parades and parties on the fabulous day!!
    We can rally around it when Utah secedes from the union.

    ReplyDelete