Tuesday, May 14, 2019

The Zion Face

The other day I wrote that thing about hiking in God's Costco with Skylar last weekend. I shared some pictures and of course expected you, my adoring fans, to gush over how talented a photographer I am (even though Skylar took the pictures).

But then Kina in the very first comment was like "WTF IS THAT FACE IN THE ROCK OF THE THIRD PICTURE DOWN."

Look. I'm already scared enough of the mountains of southern Utah. I did not need this crap. I grew up in a family that convinced me there was a creature called The First Eye that was just a giant eyeball with one-thousand toes all the way around it and it lived in the red rock caves of Utah's deserts.

I know it's irrational. I know The First Eye isn't real. I haven't believed in it in like a decade. But every time I drive through southern Utah and see holes and caves in the mountains next to the road I get slightly freaked out.

When the above comment was posted, I scanned the photo for several minutes trying to figure out what Kina was talking about. When I finally saw it, I actually screamed and then woke up Skylar even though he told me to never wake him up BUT THIS WAS IMPORTANT to make him look at the photo.


Skylar saw it almost immediately, and he agreed it was creepy. At least, I think he agreed. I was reading between the lines of "WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THE DEFINITION OF 'IMPORTANT' WHY DID YOU WAKE ME UP FOR THIS."

Someone on Facebook said she couldn't see the face so Sarah Wise came to the rescue with the below:


GUYS. WHO IS THAT.

This reminds me of this time in 2011 I was home alone on a Saturday night #sociallifegoals and this marathon series about whether an ancient civilization ever lived on Mars started. It was on the "History" Channel (you know why the quotes) and almost the entire five hours of the show was focused on whether or not there is currently a giant "face" on Mars.


At first I was like "that's just a rock. These people are scam artists." But then after five hours of staring at the TV I was like


The point is, the Zion Face, as I'm now calling it, has sort of gone through a similar journey for me. When I first spotted it, I screamed. A few hours later I decided that it wasn't anything. I couldn't even make out the semblance of a face anymore. A few hours after that I could see the face even clearer than I saw it the first time. By the end of the day it had a full body, personality, a 401k, and a favorite cast member from The Facts of Life.

I suppose it might be a religious face. A few years ago someone saw Mary in a tree at a park by my friend Anna's house so a whole bunch of people erected a staircase to the tree and since like 2010 people have been climbing it to give the tree flowers.


By the time I went to bed last night I started wondering if this really could be a Mary Tree situation and if so, did I have some shrine-building obligation here?

But then Top Fan® Jana Lloyd clarified for me on Facebook.



Jesus or not, we haven't added a new animal to the Animals tab in years. So please join me in welcoming The Zion Face.

P.S. After posting this I got an email from Stranger Molly who said she actually sees several faces in the photo. I've heard this comment several times now and it is really freaking me out. Anyway, Molly provided the below:



P.P.S. YOU GUYS!!! IT'S GETTING WORSE!! "Chris-Rachel" on Facebook just spotted ANOTHER FACE.



~It Just Gets Stranger

34 comments:

  1. Now that’s just insane because there are actually TWO faces in that picture and one of them is Teddy Roosevelt. Or maybe the Little Caesars pizza guy. Either way, I’m steering clear of southern Utah and it’s crazy faces and First Eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ... still no nudity. You know who this is. Hashtag, your lazy follower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not that we know what NUDITY is, . . . Amy Rose?!

      Delete
    2. I only know what nudity is thanks to Eli's blog. Before I started reading this, I lived in blissful ignorance...

      Delete
  3. I kept looking up above, at the part of the rock that juts out and kind of looks like a nose. Then I looked down and saw it!! Super creepy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this the blue dress thing?? I see like 5 faces in that picture. The one you've circled wasn't even the one I saw and now I see faces everywhere!! The dress is blue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally see a face in a different place. I'm not sure I should point it out to you. I'd hate for there to be a 'domestic incident' when you see it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two things:
    At girl's camp many moons ago, I SWEAR I saw a black bear walk past the lodge. The men at camp put all 200 of us on lock down for 2 hours while they searched for that damn bear. No one else saw it, and no one ever found it. I have felt both guilt and confusion for YEARS about that incident. So, thanks for validating something I SWEAR I see!

    Also, I used to work for Temple Square Hospitality. We served a wedding reception at the *supposedly haunted* Devereaux Mansion in downtown SLC. When we were all done, a few of the servers and I slid our whole bodies down the super old antique staircase (which we were definitely not allowed to do), and someone else took a picture of it on my camera. I looked at the pictures when I got home, and we were SURROUNDED by those floaty orb ghost things that people see in haunted pictures. Which leads me to wonder, what were you doing that lead a super old crochety prospector dude to photobomb your otherwise beautiful picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Idk why that commented as unknown. It's me.

      Delete
    2. WHY HAVE YOU NOT EMAILED ME THAT PICTURE

      Delete
    3. OH MY GOSH the Devereaux Mansion!! I ALSO used to work for TSH and the one time I served at a wedding there (Zupas catered, by the way, which was delicious, but kind of weird for a fancy wedding) we, the servers, absolutely went up into the attic and scared ourselves silly imagining the ghost of a little girl who died there. No idea if that's accurate or not. But I bet the "History" Channel knows.

      Delete
  7. No, Kina. You SAVED 200 people from a bear that was so wiley it could hide when being sought for two hours. You're a dang hero and we thank you for your service!

    Also, the face pointed out, which I still don't see), isn't even one of the faces I saw when I first looked at the picture. Nobody noticed the mad Tigger face in the upper right, just inside the shadow?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It feels like such a special gift to get a new animal on the Animal's tab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excuse me sir. I am also a Hashtag Top Fan (R)(C)TM

    How dare you give me holy photo editing credit but not acknowledge my god-given, hard-earned, official title in its entirety?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is just exactly like in The Crown when the Kennedys accidentally call the Queen by the wrong title and it is TENSE.

      Delete
    2. EXACTLY. Have some decorum.

      Delete
    3. As a Hashtag Top Fan (R)(C)TM as well, and to have been referenced as simply "Someone" who did the asking for the help, I hate to say it but the tension was just upped, mister!

      Delete
    4. Notice how each time he credited a Royal Highness Hashtag TopFan (R)(C)TM Esq. III he cited his source slightly better? THERE’S A CONSPIRACY HERE. The answers are hiding in Eli’s impeccable hair.

      Delete
    5. ONE FAITH CRISIS AT A TIME, SARAH.

      Delete
    6. This is gold.

      Y’all are so funny.

      Never change.

      H.A.G.S.!

      (Somehow that devolved into a middle school yearbook signing in the 1990s.)

      Delete
    7. Call me beep me if you wanna reach me

      867-5309

      - Jenny

      Delete
  10. We were watching TV last night and I SAW THE VISIT UTAH AD! We were watching Hulu so we saw it for every commercial break - by the end of the show my son decided he didn't want to visit Utah - he'd already seen enough of it on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel that way about Idaho for the exact same reason. Also, in that Idaho commericial, am I the only one that sees the imprint of a Dragon in the grassy field the kids are lying in?? https://www.ispot.tv/ad/IRzU/visit-idaho-18-summers-with-that-happy-family

      It goes by real quick right at the beginning, as any good dragon would.

      Delete
  11. i can actually see many faces in the wall... some straight on. some in profile.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is clearly a face on the path. Is everyone else blind? See the eye, nose and mouth to the left of the tree?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do we win a prize for most faces spotted?

    ReplyDelete
  14. so the first face i saw was the one Molly pointed out & my jaw actually dropped when that wasn’t the one you were talking about.

    also, THANKS FOR KEEPING ME UP TONIGHT.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I see two faces on the left, one in profile and one full face. There is also a moaning man-face above the yellow circle in the last photo.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The face to the right in Molly's picture looks like a dinosaur/dragon/alligator face. Does this make it better?

    ReplyDelete
  17. My 4 year old found a book about the 50 states (written and pics drawn by kids, very cute). Anyway, he's obsessed with Utah and wants fly there on an airplane (we live on the East Coast). At first I was like yea let's go, because Eli and Skylar and Duncan. But I obviously now have to crush my son's dreams because SCARY MOUNTAIN FACES.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can see all the faces except for the original one!


    That's the one that'll get me if I ever go hiking in Utah. Better stay in Illinois where we don't have faces.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The last one is the creepiest, it looks like a soul in torment.

    ReplyDelete