Thursday, May 5, 2016

What Even is Punctuation?!?!~~

I'm skipping Pictures and Distractions this week because all of the sudden it's May 5th which means I have to leave at like negative 5:00 tomorrow morning when it should be illegal to be outside so I can frantically drive all the way across the entire country to get to St. George Utah for the Half Ironman, which is on Saturday.

And I know. I KNOW. I told you guys I was never exercising again and that all I was going to spend the rest of my life doing was eat Oreos and watch trashy reality TV. So far I've kept my promise to you. Which is not great for my upcoming race. (But it's awesome for my thighs!)

And now it's already 6:00 PM and I haven't even started packing my gear and my phone is ringing off the hook with dramatic work calls like this isn't even America anymore and I have to go pick up Matt at the airport in like 2 hours so I don't have much time left with Mr. Pants and he keeps looking at me like this:



because instead of playing with him I keep taking work phone calls and he has had it with this week because the other night we got into a huge fight over peanut butter and he tried to sleep on the couch after throwing a World-War-III-level temper tantrum and I swear to you I actually had to sit down and have a full conversation with a two-year-old dog that has human eyes so I could explain to him why I couldn't give him peanut butter at 1:00 in the morning when it was time for bed so he would stop being mad at me and come snuggle until it was time to get up and go back to the office four hours later and oh my gosh I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT PUNCTUATION IS ANYMORE

What the hell is this thing ~

Is that how we end sentences now ~

Where are my grammar critics~~~~~~~?!~?~?

~It Just Gets Stranger

15 comments:

  1. That thing indicates "approximately" and is used In Front Of a number (usually), like in this example:

    "Eli's run-on sentence contained ~11ty-billion grammar errors."

    Can also be placed above a Spanish "n" to change how one pronounces the letter. Known as a tilde.

    The way you've used it looks like Time, flowing like a river ... to the seeeeeeeeea, to the seeeeeeeeea ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ~: the tilde :-) (which I prefer to pronounce "till-dee" as it's cuter than "till-duh". Stack two of them on top of each other and you have a symbol commonly used in math for approximately: ≈. Stack it on top of an equal sign and it means "congruent" ≅ which means the same size and shape; by itself, ~ means "similar" (same shape, different size). In logic, it is a negation symbol: ~stranger would be like saying you're not a stranger.

      There, lots of useless maths information for you (maths is the way those in the Commonwealth say it, which means its better than the way we Americans say it and is also ironic as the uses of the tilde I have blathered on about are US centric, and other countries' maths may use it differently).

      Now don't get me started on what { } mean (and no, they are not cute parentheses! :-)).

      Delete
    2. I wasn't sure if it's also called a tilde in maths, so I explained that later in my Spanish explanation, as that's the only place I've heard it called that.

      ALSO, I've never seen or used it stacked to mean "approximately"; always just a single. Don't remember it on top of an equals sign. But my maths education is long gone; all I have are memories.

      I have always used {} INSIDE of a parenthetical phrase, similar to how one would use SINGLE quotations INSIDE a quote ("blah blah 'blah {yada yada} blah' blah")

      Delete
    3. High five, Liz! Excellent math(s) explanation. Math teacher approved.

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh. I honestly held my breath while I read all that in my head. Without punctuation I couldn't stop. I had to read it faster and faster as I went on just so I could breathe again. It's cool though. I lived to tell the tale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto. Can't talk much. Out of breath.

      Delete
    2. I think it gives a sense of realism. I'm sure that's exactly how Eli says it in real life, too.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad it's a math thing because I had no idea what it was and I always called it the squiggly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So it sounds like you're having the same kind of week I'm having. Except that I don't do that whole exercise thing...

    ReplyDelete
  5. GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!! May the Wind Gods blow your bike forward and not backward or sideways (aka over onto the asphalt)!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always thought ~ was supposed to be a squiggly tongue :)~ or something...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find it hilarious that you actually invited the grammar nazis to come in droves and only two showed up! (I mean, just think of the last time you misspelled something ...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it time. They will come.

      Delete
    2. I'm proud to share maths company with Liz in AZ, even though I was also proud to silently say "First Comment!" when Eli invited grammar nazis to speak up, because I'm that as well.

      Delete
  8. Forget the punctuation. I'm scarred from the line, "a two year old dog with human eyes." If you don't think it's creepy just Google it. Unless it's bedtime. Hold off then. If you like to sleep anyway. Your choice.

    ReplyDelete