Thursday, March 26, 2020

Does This Count As Pictures & Distractions Who's In Charge Here?

I was going to do Pictures & Distractions but then I got distracted (ha!) and started word vomiting. I guess the below does include some pictures and links, so maybe this counts? I don't know.

I was going to start this off by bragging to you about how I spent my weekend painting my garage door and patio in the backyard and I went to pull up a picture and somehow clicked on something on Instagram, which turned out to be a "live video."

As you know, I'm what the kids call "not tech savvy." I've seen people do these live videos before but I guess I just always assumed this was not a resource available to me for some reason. WELL. As it turns out, IT IS available to me, and if there's one thing I like more than watching TV it's BEING tv (hashtag attention seeker).

Being the international superstar that I am, upwards of SEVENTEEN PEOPLE tuned into this thing. Now I can't walk around my house without sunglasses on and TMZ hired a new person to just cover my life. That person followed me around for a week and then got fired when there was nothing sensational to report besides my skin-care regimen WHICH IS OUTRAGEOUS.

It was all very fun and very exciting and I think we should do a Quarantine Stranger Show where everyone gets their favorite not-that-I-know-what-that-is-Cathie beverage and joins us on Instagram one night for a story or something. Or is that lame? Is this a bad idea? I've been locked in my house so many days in a row now that I can't tell whether this is a bad idea. Someone reassure me here.


Anyway, I did in fact paint my garage door and patio over the weekend. This was desperately needed. I've been putting it off for like 2 years. And then Saturday morning I woke up and I says to myself I says "Eli, you have a crazy amount of time on your hands right now and you are not allowed to go anywhere or do anything. If you haven't painted your garage and learned Korean by the end of this, you better have at least have finished reading Crime & Punishment (started that in 2005, only 286 pages to go).

There's a paint store at the end of my street and they are still operating on some level. You can call them and purchase supplies over the phone and then go stand in the parking lot and Vladimir Putin in a hazmat suit walks out and sets a bag of what you purchased on a sidewalk for you to go gather up. It's all very dystopian and fun.

So I bought a small can of primer and a small can of white paint and eleventy thousand hours later I had completed most of the project. Here's a picture of the garage door to prove it:


I know. I'm amazing an photographer and an even better painter. What house projects are you going to get done during this time?

Finally, I wrote an article about earthquake drills from my childhood. Please go check it out?

Finally finally, Rebbie wrote a really lovely article about The Great British Baking Show.

Finally finally finally, we published the video (and text) of Shelby Hintze's Strangerville Live story "Nice Disabled Girl." It's one of my favorite stories we've ever had on Strangerville. You should give it a watch. Bonus, you can see Shelby (accurately) telling me right before taking the mic that I look very sweaty.

Finally finally finsnuggie finally, here's Duncan, Ollie, and our friend Jace:




~It Just Gets Stranger

11 comments:

  1. YES PLEASE! QUARANTINE STRANGER SHOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a tour of your house because when I watched that video I just wanted to know where you bought all the things, especially your living room rug.

    ReplyDelete
  3. YES Quarantine stranger show - YES YES YES. Especially since I haven't been able to get to a show!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add me to the chorus of people who want a Strangerville Live Instagram show. I would even love to hear you retell old stories you've written about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I can figure out Instagram stories/live shows/whatever this is that we are talking about, then I am there. You might have to post a tutorial for how to use it for your readers that are in their mid thirties (I STILL COUNT AS MID THIRTIES)... But I am ALSO using this time of quarantine to teach myself Korean, and I have almost figured out how to use Twitter. (Which you probably have noticed, to your great chagrin. HAHAHAHAHAHA - this laughter is me, mocking myself.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! But for those of us who don't have instagram maybe a Facebook live? Or maybe I'm the only person who still doesn't have instagram :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like this idea. It would be like Strangerville Live for those of us who are easterners and can't come across the country for a show! You could do it live on the YouTubes too. Or the Facebooks, for that matter. (I'm mostly saying that because I'm older than you even if it's only by like 2 years and if you don't know anything about the Instagram live thing then as your elder I really don't like can you watch it later or is it only live and I know with YouTubes and Facebooks you can watch it later and stuff which would be good because time difference and work and whatnot.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. DUH make Strangerville accessible for all of us who aren’t in Utah.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think a Quarantine Strangerville Live is TERRIBLE IDEA! What on earth are you thinking?????

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHAHAH - Of course I was joking. And of course you should do it. Actually - you teased us all with it and I'm not a fancy pants lawyer/legal professor like you are but I once took contract law and I'm pretty sure that's a binding agreement and you're legally bound to do it now . . . particularly for those of us not even within 1000 miles of Utah . . .


    I also find all you Millennials who talk about being flustered by technology hiLARious. #GENX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes I would love a live broadcast!!

    ReplyDelete