Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Daniel Can't Do Cartwheels

Remember one million years ago when I posted the Daniel diving videos? Remember how he was remarkably bad at diving? Remember how he somehow thought he was diving head-first into the water when in fact he was just jumping in feet-first with his hands clasped together? Remember how I had to record videos of him "diving" in order to prove to him that he was in fact not diving?

Well. I found something that Daniel is even worse at than he used to be at diving. Cartwheels.

We were playing on the beach in Mexico over the weekend when Anna Swayne started shooting videos. She told me to do a cartwheel because she had some creative plans for the video that I didn't really understand or try to understand. I just did what I was asked to do.

I'm not great at cartwheels. I'm ok at them. But not great.

Daniel, obviously wanting to be a part of whatever was happening, started making what MUST have been his very first attempts in his life at doing a cartwheel. And, just like with the diving, he seemed to think that what he was doing constituted respectable gymnastics.

In the below video you will see me do two cartwheels. Then, just as I go into my third attempt, Daniel enters the scene with a "cartwheel" of his own.

I swear to you he didn't believe that mine and his cartwheels looked any different until we sat him down and forced him to watch this video, at which point he nodded and said, "oh, I see. The legs should be a little more vertical."

Yes, Daniel. That's the problem. The legs just need to be a little more vertical.

(I suggest watching this in full screen mode--the video is very small)

~It Just Gets Stranger

28 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha! Yeah, just a little more verticality ought to do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am literally loling at this and crying I'm laughing so hard (at work). If your youtube views are unusually high on this video it's just me rewatching it all day. I've watched it 4 times already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess abs only get you so far.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He must have just eaten some eggs left on the counter for several days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may want to share this important PSA with Anna, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt9zSfinwFA and perhaps Daniel wouldn't have had to so awkwardly roll into such a skinny video frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... My husband was telling me this exact same thing last night and I didn't get why it made a difference. This video made way more sense than he did. Maybe I'm a visual learner. I have been taught. :)

      Delete
    2. That video was...so...totally...AWESOME!!!! LOL

      Thanks for posting it.

      Delete
  6. if i hadn't read the story, i would have just thought daniel happened to stumble and fall in front of the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think every video on the entire Internet should be deleted and replaced by this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can we take a moment, between all the laughing at Daniel, to recognize that Eli is surprisingly good at cartwheels?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "surprisingly" is what makes this sentence ;)

      Delete
    2. I noticed that too! Bravo, Eli. The gymnast in me is very proud.

      Delete
  9. I see no difference! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So at first, when I read the title of this post, I was thinking, "Eli's kind of being a punk toward Daniel. We can't all be "okay" at cartwheels, after all."

    But then I watched the video. And I can't help but think that it's all a fake, and totally intentional. Because I feel like my cute little niece, who is only 19 months old, could probably do a better cartwheel than whatever the heck it is that Daniel demonstrated in the aforementioned video. I mean, *I* could do a better cartwheel, and I've not done a proper one since I was a tween. (And when I say "a proper one," I do mean I could actually do it back in the days of my youth.)

    I can't thank you enough for sharing that video.

    Please bless that none of my friends whip out their cameras next time I do something clumsy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is the new best day of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. That video just made my life. The diving was fun too, but that was… indescribable.

      Delete
  12. Eli's reaction after Daniel attempts the cartwheel is almost as funny as the cartwheel itself. I feel like that explains their relationship so well. Daniel doing something hysterical and Eli throwing his hands in the air and shaking his head, wondering, "how did I end up in the middle of this mess?"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup. It's still funny after watching it 20 times in a row.

    ReplyDelete
  14. BWAHAHA Oh my gosh. Yes--A little more vertical!

    Or maybe it's all in the wrists...?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my heavens that made my night! Thanks for the laugh Eli and know that now you have the perfect birthday present for Daniel's next birthday. Gymnastics lessons!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Not being able to do cartwheels properly or naturally must be a tall thing. I'm just over 6 ft and have never been able to do them. In fact I was asked to leave a gymnastics class in elementary because I was so bad at them. Ha ha! Once you get the feel for it and lots of practice you can do them though. ;) Kudos to Daniel for trying on film so we can all enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. hahahahahahaaha!

    That's what I looked like when I was like 5.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is exactly what my cartwheels look like. Except I think I actually get my feet off the ground for half a second.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh goodness, I am laughing so hard at this that my husband came over to see what I was watching. I agree that my favorite part is Eli's reaction at the end!

    Sadly my cartwheels are much closer to Daniel's than Eli's.... my mom tried for years to teach me, but I never could do it! And I'm 5'4", so can't blame it on height.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. This gives me conflicting emotions- on the one hand it's hilarious, but on the other that is how I do cartwheels and Daniel's diving is about the same as my diving, so it also makes me sad. More hilarious than sad, though.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I actually got kicked out of gymnastics as a child for doing cartwheels like that.

    ReplyDelete