Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Sleeping in Mexico

I mentioned yesterday that by the time we got to Mexico on Friday, I hadn't slept for a few days. Between working through the night and traveling and listening to Daniel update me on the last several months of his VERY ODD life, I was a total zombie.

We checked into the hotel on Friday afternoon and immediately went out to eat and wander the streets a bit and try our darndest to pick up a new version of ringworm since Axel left too soon a few months ago.

One of the reasons we wanted to go to Rosarito, specifically, was to check out the surprisingly nice art scene and to hopefully come away with a couple of paintings. Daniel and I looked at every piece in the town and listened to the life stories of every artist and fought over every contemplated purchase until finally threatening and blackmailing one another sufficiently to make our final selections. This is a scene we've practiced together in about half a dozen countries across the world now. And we've become very proficient at it.


Daniel: I will murder you in your sleep if you buy that out from under me.
Eli: Good luck with that. I have given a secret video I recorded of you doing the flapper girl dance to an anonymous person who has strict instructions to post it to Youtube if I ever go missing.

With my new painting that was a NIGHTMARE to transport home.

Then, suddenly, Emily became very interested in trying on all sorts of dresses we passed on the street.


By about 6:00 I asked if we could go back to the hotel and take a quick nap. I didn't think I would have the energy for an evening of karaoke and midnight ocean plunges, like we had planned, without some rest.

Everyone agreed. So off we went for our nap.

We woke up at 9:30 the next morning.

I don't know what this says about me, but THAT, dear Strangers, is perhaps the best Valentine's Day I've ever had.

~It Just Gets Stranger

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like us on a trip to the Mediterranean last year. We arrived in Rome VERY early in the morning, had a full morning and afternoon sightseeing, grabbed a bite to eat and went to nap "just for an hour." Yeah, we missed seeing the Trevi Fountain and everything else at night. Bummer. But we did get to see it 2 weeks later after the cruise was over. One of the best trips ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sleep deprivation is my oldest friend. I'm built about like Daniel (without the killer abs, sadly...) and you wouldn't think I have sleep apnea, but I do! So, I've had a CPAP for almost a decade and it is part of life. (I am like a clear plastic version of Darth Vader at night.) When I travel for work, it's absolutely critical. When I went to Nigeria a bit over a year ago I forgot to take my CPAP power cord and couldn't use the thing for a week! I actually cried (hard) on the plane when I realized the cord was missing. I realized I would not get sleep for the whole week. I didn't. And I got the flu. In Nigeria. The plane ride home was the sickest I've ever been. I honestly don't recall all the details of the return flight... I do recall that security in Nigeria was more thorough than most doctors from whom I've ever had a physical...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, considering I'm from Nigeria. I hope we didn't creep you out.

      Delete
  3. I almost spewed my drink when I heard Daniel's last line in that video.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There was this one time I went to Scotland; we flew from SLC to Glasgow with a bit of a layover at Newark. Our journey (flight) started at 7:00 AM (Utah time) and ended at, like, 7:45 AM (Glasgow time)--which means it was somewhere around 12:45 AM in Utah.

    I cannot sleep on airplanes (worst curse ever), and the jet lag was horrendous. My friend and I went to drop off our luggage at our B&B, and if you would believe it, our room was ready. At 8:30 in the morning. And they let us check in. All I wanted to do was nap, but Carrie said NO. She let me take a bath and freshen up, and then we hit the town. She said "we're not allowed to come back to the B&B until 6PM.

    I felt dead on my feet; we had gotten, like, three hours of sleep the night before our trip began, and I hadn't slept a wink the entire journey. Anyway, we took the underground to explore Glasgow and I nodded off every damn time we sat down for more than two minutes. As 6:00 approached, we grabbed a few things at a grocery store. We headed back to the B&B, I took another bath, and I crashed. For ten hours.

    I guess Carrie was right, not to let me lie down for a "nap"...

    I do feel bad for Glasgow, though; we were only there our first and last days of our 15 day vacation, and I was numb with exhaustion, and Glasgow felt less charming than all the other places we visited. I'm sure it would have seemed lovelier had I been more awake on either of those days...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised you two weren't fighting over that sweet whale painting in the window! It looks so incredibly real, like a picture....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could totally sleep that much right now.

    Looks like a fun day! Nice painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can we please talk about Eli's feet in that second photo? His face is all dominating the world while his feet pop out like he's half penguin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "you can wear that while you're single AND while you get knocked up". why on earth is she wearing that mexican dress WHILE she gets knocked up daniel? #nevernude?

    ReplyDelete